Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Under The Influence #2 - Rapture PiL

Check the vocal part from "Careering" by Public Image Ltd. (PiL) against The Rapture's "Echoes".  If you don't know, PiL was formed by Johnny Rotten after the demise of the Sex Pistols with Kevin Levene (very early member of the Clash and The Flowers of Romance with Sid Vicious) and Jah Wobble.  Careering was on the album Metal Box which came out in 1979,  and The Rapture's Echoes recycled this little vocal inflection (I wouldn't call it a melody) in 2003.  Scream "what!?!" at the end and put it in a more accessible package and presto!  GOLDEN!  Don't get me wrong, I like The Rapture, but that's something that I can't help hearing every time this song comes on.


1 comment:

  1. Exactement! When I first heard PiL's track, I instantly caught their resemblance. (I listened to the Rapture first)

    ReplyDelete